Utica New York History
Fifty miles west, the northern foothills base between Utica and Syracuse, surrounded the eastern edge of New York State's largest city, Syracuse. The town is on the west side of Lake Erie, north of Buffalo, and residents may have known about it because it was home to a government-run mental health facility. Slaves crossed the city on their way to Buffalo and were guided by the route Harriet Tubman used to travel from Buffalo to the Canadian border at the time of her death.
The original design of the hospital, as it was first called, consisted of four identical buildings with a central courtyard. N.Y. Utica was served by several lines leased from New York Central and the Hudson River, including the West Shore Railway, Adirondack Scenic Railroad and Mohawk Adirsack Northern Railroad. The route is now called Mohawk AdirONDACK Northern and leads the unique panorama railway through Utica to Remsen. In the early 20th century, Utico acted as a major port of call for the US Army Corps of Engineers in the Great Depression.
After New York City moved its Broadway north to Albany, Utica expanded its famous Genesee Street from Clinton to Clinton. Today's Park Avenue runs through the city's central business district on its way to Oneida Square, bounded by the Lake Geneva Trail. To the south, what is now Utico includes New Hartford and Clinton, and to the north, Oneidas Square meets Seneca Trail and Adirondack Trail on the west side of the river.
The Mohawk cities of Rome and Schenectady were to be on the main lines of the world's largest railways. The Mohawks divided Albany and Syracuse into New York Central Lines, which carried the US Pacific Railroad, the Central Railroad of America and the United States Railway Company, as well as the Union Pacific Railway and Returned Railroad. Utica was preferred because it was close enough to serve as the terminus for the Central Line of the Great Northern Railway in New Jersey. It was also close to major cities Albany, Syracuse, New Hartford and Rome while being adjacent to and along the main line of some of the world's largest railroads.
The construction of the Erie Canal began in 1817 and the first boat, the Chief Engineer, made its first voyage from Rome to Utica when a great celebration was held. In 1819 the canal between Rome, Salina, Schenectady, Albany, Syracuse, New Hartford and New York City was completed, but not in Uticica. In the same year, construction began on the Erie Canal, which would become an economically important waterway and change the face of the village of UtICA forever. When the first parts of Rome and the salt pans were opened in the 1820s, Utico made a stopover together with Syracuse.
The Chenango Canal was completed in 1826 and connected Utica, Schenectady, Syracuse, Albany, New Hartford and New York City. The company spanned lines through the Adirondacks and soon owned more than 1,000 miles of railroad lines from Uticica to Syracuse. In 1827, Utah and Schensectadady merged to form the New Jersey Central Railroad, a 20th-century railroad that grew out of the AdirONDacks as the New York Central Railway.
It was Old Fort Schuyler when the Utica first became known, but due to growing enrollment, the institution took on a new name in 1977 and was leased to the University of New York at Uticica, a private, nonprofit institution. The fortress, which was later built in Rome, was first called "Fort Schugler" and later "Fort Stanwix" and then, with its prefixes, was called "Fortress of Rome." To distinguish itself from the Schuylkill Fort in Rome and Utka, it was known as the Old FortSchuylers until the late 1970s.
When it was renamed Fort Schuyler, the Mohawk River site became known as OldFort Schuyler until the late 1970s, and again in 1983.
The historic Utica Station opened on May 24, 1914 for New York Central (NYC) and remained a union station until late 1915, when the riverside facility was moved to its current location on the Mohawk River. In 1925, the UtICA station was home to the Union Pacific Railroad (UPR) and the United States Railway Company (USRC). It opened in Boonville in 1854 and later expanded to Carthage, and in 1883 began to run through the southern city limits.
When tram service began in 1863, Utica was only the fifth city in the country to have a regular tram line, with only New York City, New Jersey, Philadelphia and Chicago added to it. The early 20th century brought the railroad advance to Utica with the opening of the U.S. railroads in 1884, the first of which was electrified by New York Central. In the 19th century, a combination of high-speed trains and the city's proximity to the Mohawk River made Utah a major transportation hub. But the construction of a series of new roads, such as the New York State Thruway, which bypassed the city, as well as declining population and lack of investment in public-transport infrastructure, also contributed to a poor local economy.